I just love this story told by a mother who I could really empathise with. OK, I’ve never had the extraordinary responsibility of having a child to look after whilst going through financial problems (and I’m so thankful for that) but I felt her pain viscerally in this moving account. Because right now, I’m going through many of those same fears and working through those same limiting beliefs and old, programmed ways of thinking which Lisa tells about in this video.
I used to hate myself, just as she did.
I used to treat money as though it would “burn a hole in my pocket,” because it had a psychological hold on me.
I too, put in the hard work with affirmations to try to lift myself to a stronger mental place (and still do, every day)
I too, spend all my time working, both for money AND on myself, at the expense of social life
I too, made the effort to learn from those who had been there and done it, who I aspired to be (and always will)
You don’t have to be a single Mum to appreciate and learn from Lisa’s experience. The same route she took to success, is the same route we all need to take if we want to drag ourselves up from the abyss:
- Start to love yourself FIRST. That includes putting in the work to improve YOURSELF.
- Get help – start learning from people who have been in your situation and have OVERCOME it
- WORK HARD. You need to make sacrifices to get the best.
It’s a pretty simple check-list but most people never do any of those things.
- They are waiting for something or someone to save them.
- They put others before themselves and their own well-being.
- They refuse to get help or seek advice from the wrong people – people who haven’t done anything in their life.
- And they simply don’t put in the work – or give up when it gets tough.
Don’t be that person.
I’m not and my life is changing as a result. But it’s not easy and you should never expect it to be. Good things don’t come to those who wait. They come to those who go out and get them.
“The reason why a lot of people won’t become who they want, is because they’re too attached to who they’ve been,”
My favourite quote from this video! Stop clinging to your past and this story of who you are. If it hasn’t produced the life you want, then you need to change.